Home Show/Open Studio online

When I lived in Oakland, I always did the East Bay Open Studios.  People loved that; they were consistently my strongest shows in terms of sales. Then recession broke me, and I had to fold up shop and high-tail back it to the comfortable middle class folds of my mother's people, on the Central California Coast.  Now I live at my grandmother's house.  Then I broke my back.  It's been a rough couple years.   News flash: creating for a living is hard.  At any rate, I have persisted.  I will continue to do so I now realize, regardless of the price – I'm pot committed, as they might say of a poker player who has the majority of his chips in play in a particular hand.  (I am a terrible poker player, but I enjoy the idea of lying as a virtuous activity.)

I 'm in the fourth month of my recovery from major back surgery and finally able to (slowly, gently) start doing things that have been strictly prohibited here to fore, such as bending, lifting, twisting and standing on my feet for more than twenty minutes at a time.  So I have aviled myself to curate a selection of my art work and hang it around the house, and also to get back to working in the painting studio I built in the garage, and also to put in many hours standing at the counter on my computer trying to create attractive digital presentations of my work for the nice people of Internetlandia.

So for those of you who may happen to be reading this, welcome to my sanctuary.  I am lucky to be able to live in such a beautiful comfortable home, and to be surrounded by the natural beauty of the Central Coast, to be from a family that values learning and culture and art, to be able to create and try to chanel and understand the beauty of nature and the human spirit, and to share myself with, frankly, a remarkable number of beautiful and amazing individuals that I have had the honor of being able to engage through my work.  Blessings all, I hope you enjoy the show.

l-r, Pyrrha & Deucalion detail, The Object of the Object.


Story:
When Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors. Even though he was imprisoned, Prometheus who could see the future and had foreseen the coming of this flood told his son, Deucalion, to build an ark and, thus, they survived. During the flood, they landed on Mount Parnassus, the only place spared by the flood.
Once the deluge was over and the couple were on land again, Deucalion consulted an oracle of Themis about how to repopulate the earth. He was told to throw the bones of his mother behind his shoulder. Deucalion and Pyrrha understood the "mother" to be Gaia, the mother of all living things, and the "bones" to be rocks. They threw the rocks behind their shoulders, which soon began to lose their hardness and change form. Their mass grew greater, and the beginnings of human form emerged. The parts that were soft and moist became skin, the veins of the rock became people's veins, and the hardest parts of the rocks became bones. The stones thrown by Pyrrha became women; those thrown by Deucalion became men.
-from wikipedia

I cannot stress enough how important core strength is to spine health.

Late Rains Pt 1-4, early flat screen television

Late Rains Pt 2: Hope for sale & Late Rains Pt 3: Remembering Her etsy link

l-r, Late Rains Pt 1: Time & Late Rains Pt 2: Hope 

Late Rains Pt 4: A Modern Moment, detail view etsy listing
Late Rains Pt 3: Remembering Her, far wall

Late Rains Pt 1: Time detail
view etsy listing

l-r, Osiris, Totem 1: Amorphism, Totem 2: Like So Much Clay, Mama Fukishima, Native State

Totems 1 & 2 details
Totem 1 on Etsy
Totem 2 on Etsy

Native State detail

Mama Fukishima detail

on left, Awesome needle point animal scene, one of the first pieces of art I ever remember in my life, my mom and grandma taught me the names of animals when I was a baby by looking at this thing with me.
At right, Muse Three
View Muse Three listed on Etsy

A light in the dark, artist unknown, The Shipping Dream, multi-state intaglio print by me, edition of 10, 3 left, $200

Muse One
view etsy listing

on the wall, l-r, Lovenote study, Muse Four: The Look, Support, Protection: Missis Death

view Support on Etsy
view Protection: Missis Death on Etsy

Lovenote study

Arroyo Willow and friends.  A raccon tried to break into the dog food bin (the white box looking thing at the far end of the table) last summer and knocked Arroyo Willow off the table and split off one of it's main branches, so I tied it back together with the purple ribbon you see.  It seems to have worked out ok. Frankenwillow.

Studio, l-r, Ananke, Chronos, City Roots: Empire, City Roots: Hong Kong, City Roots: Dubai, Alpha Quail, First Building, Animal Medicine. 

Paintings: Chronos, Daphne, Moirai.  I've been really into classical mythology, and trees, lately.

Graces, finished.

Persephone, top center.

Prospero in progress, Hesperidae

Orpheus in progress

Miranda

Maja detail, Mind Games

In front, a lithograph from my time a UCSC, 2004-2005, titled Memories are in the blood. Way before epigenetics was even a thing, I had a hunch.  The painting behind is fom same time period, Western Eyes it's called.

Be strong and courageous.

Study guides.
If anyone wants to come for a visit, please email me to schedule an appointment: jq@jordanquintero.com

Thank you, hope you enjoyed looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions Of A Mid Career Artist