City Roots Timelapse Pt 2


"After watching the (excellent) film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel "The Road" last night, I realize that basically all the art I have ever made has been about the Apocalypse. Not the Apocalypse of St John, but rather the environmental and nuclear and genocidal apocalypse that is currently happening, right now. It is the background to my entire life, and in my work especially, the relationship betweeen background and foreground, subject and object, content and form are symbiotic, amorphous and continually in flux. I've been working on describing my work, and if I had to pin down a theme, well, how could anybody working right now make art about anything else? It seems to be important, as an artist, to document these goings on, and their effects on subjectivity, consciousness. If any intelligence might be around to look at stuff later, it would be good for them, poignant and stuff, for them to see artwork about what is happening, what the artists who saw what was happening thought at the time, what did they have to say for they self. It's the only thing I can think to do. Stay busy. Protect the fire."
City Roots Dubai
City Roots Hong Kong
           


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions Of A Mid Career Artist